Post Abortion Instructions
To help prevent infection, for 2 weeks after your abortion:
- Do not have sexual intercourse.
- Do not insert anything into the vagina, including tampons.
- DO NOT swim or douche.
- Take showers instead of baths
Call us immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 degrees or higher. You should take and record you temperature every morning and evening for about a week after the abortion. Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Heavy bleeding that consists of soaking 2 or more full-size pads in 1 hour, or bleeding much heavier than a normal period. Soaking equals filling a pad with fresh, bright red blood from side to side and front to back (not including clots) - if you were to hold the pad up it would drip. You may experience heavy bleeding and you may pass some large clots (in some cases, the size of a baseball or larger). Intermittent periods of heavier bleeding are normal and clots may look bigger in the toilet so, don't panic.
- Severe cramping or pain unrelieved by: 1) a non-aspirin pain reliever such as Ibuprofen, Advil, Nuprin, or Motrin (up to 800mg every 6-8 hrs); Aleve (up to 660mg every 8 hrs); or Extra-strength Tylenol (up to 1000mg every 4-6 hrs); 2) placing a heating pad over the lower abdomen or back or taking a hot shower; and 3) massaging the abdomen. If nothing helps, call us. DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN or other medications we have not prescribed because it may increase bleeding.
- No normal period within 8 weeks of the abortion.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION:
CALL 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR EMERCENCIES
(484) 821-0821 OR (877) 342-5292 (877 DIAL AWC)
Listen to the message. Choose option 8. After the tone, leave your name, area code and phone number, and briefly describe your problem. Speak loudly and clearly. Leave your phone lines open and our staff person will call you back. If you do not get an immediate response, please call again.
CALL US FIRST with any problems. We can best determine how to handle your case and often can help you avoid costly and unnecessary hospital bills.