For Immediate Release
October 30, 2018
Trump Administration Attempts to Redefine Gender
Bethlehem, PA, Oct. 30, 2018– The Department of Health and Human Services recently released a memo stating government agencies who receive government financial assistance need to take up a unified definition of gender. Therefore, forcing all agencies to define gender as male or female, determined by the genitals a person is born with. The Allentown Women’s Center wholeheartedly rejects the Department of Health and Human Services proposal and we stand by our Trans, gender non- conforming, and non-binary patients.
Executive Director of the Allentown Women’s Center, Kim F. Chiz stated, “The lives, rights, dignity, and health of binary and non-binary transgender people are valued by the Allentown Women’s Center and our staff. We will continue to care for them and their families, while simultaneously fighting any hate speech or government policy that attempts to invalidate their experiences or erase their contributions to our society.”
The Department of Health and Human Services memo is the most recent move by the Trump Administration to eliminate the many civil rights protections former President Barack Obama established. Among those protections is recognizing gender as an individual’s choice and not determined by sex assigned at birth. If implemented, the “new” definition of gender could hurt an estimated 1.4 million Americans who do not identify with the gender they were designated at birth.
The effort to marginalize this vulnerable population in our country is reprehensible and appalling. The Allentown Women’s Center will continue to support, fight, and stand up for those who the government is working to silence and whose constitutional rights are currently at risk. Donate, support, and educate those around you. This isn’t “their” fight, it is everybody’s fight.
Organizations that continuously work towards equal rights for LGBTQ community:
- The Trans Justice Funding Project– is a community-led funding initiative that supports grassroots, Trans justice groups run by and for trans people. You can donate here.
- The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ young people under 25. Visit their website here.
- Transgender Law Center is the largest national trans-led organization. Visit their website here.
- The National Center for Lesbian Rights is working to advance the civil and human rights of LGBTQ people and their families through litigation, legislation, policy, and public education. You can read their statement here.
- Trans Lifeline is a grassroots organization offering direct emotional and financial support to Trans people in crisis — for the trans community, by the trans community. You can read their statement here. If you need the Lifeline, call 877-565-8860.
Additional organizations dedicated to transgender justice, liberation, and recognition:
- Audre Lorde Project
- El/La Para Translatinas
- Marsha P. Johnson Institute
- Solutions Not Punishment Collaborative (SNaPCo)
- Southerners on New Ground
- The Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- Trans Queer Pueblo
About The Allentown Women’s Center
The Allentown Women’s Center provides affirming, innovative, and compassionate healthcare services regardless of socio-economic standing, cultural differences, gender, or sexual identity. We abhorrently object to limiting the rights of those seeking healthcare services and will maintain a safe place for all patients who walk through our doors.